Friday, June 28, 2013

I Just Need a Few More Things...

It's like a sickness I tell you. I think the rooms are finished and then we step back and say...well, it really needs a coffee table. And maybe, a couple of end tables- you know, the stacked ones. And well, we have to replace those candles on the fireplace....and that table needs a lamp....but after that it's done. Yeah, right. 
Problem is, this is our hobby. Brian and I love searching for that next perfect item- for the deal, for the thing shoved under the table that nobody else saw. Instead of date nights, it's early morning estate sales. How lucky am I? I married someone who loves it as much as I do. 
Before we were married we spent our weekends in antique malls, lived in a house built in 1913 with it's original kitchen, filled with our vintage furniture and collectibles. Somehow along the way we lost that. Our house now was filled with model home furniture and just regular stuff from the local furniture stores. A few months ago I realized this was killing my spirit. I felt stifled. I felt like I wasn't enjoying our home, it wasn't a place of refuge, it was suffocating me. 
Why were we living a way I didn't enjoy? We weren't getting any younger, what were we waiting for? And what we like has never changed- vintage modern, Heywood Wakefield, anything 1950's suburbia. So I took the bookshelf that my grandfather built from Davis' playroom, drug it downstairs, and put just a little bit of my Pyrex collection in it. It made me happy just to look at it. It was bright and sunny and put a smile on my face. What's the point in having it if it's stuffed away in boxes somewhere. 







And then Brian "got it." And we decided we would remake our living room and kitchen into what we wanted. And in just a week we are almost done!





This is the table we picked up yesterday. It really opens up the space and makes it so bright in the room.




We are off this morning to another estate sale that might just be a hoarders house. They are handing out numbers at 7:00 and I want to be the first in line. Wish us luck!
-Tricia

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Jen! Funny thing is that is only about a third of it...I may need an intervention, lol.

      Delete