Sunday, September 1, 2013

Sometimes it's the Little Things...

that someone does for you that shows they love you. Putting away the dishes, cleaning the cat box, making you a cup of coffee, or loading up a hundred pound planter you just have to have. 

We went to an estate sale yesterday morning. It was the third day of the sale and everything was 50% off. One of the things that are always first to go at an estate sale is tools- and plants. For some reason I always laugh at people buying used plants. Every sale I see people running to the backyard and carrying out planters full of plants. I'm not sure why I find it funny- plants are expensive and ones that are already full grown are sure to live, right? But for some reason it's our running joke- "We're here for the plants." 

So when I set my eye on a huge planter yesterday morning Brian thought I was nuts. His first response was "no way, we will never get that in the car." But once he looked into my eyes he knew resistance was futile and that somehow that planter was coming home with us. Did I mention it had a tree in it and was filled with dirt? It was so heavy even he couldn't move it. I just saw it as a challenge! And it was only $30, a screaming deal. 

So first we dug out the tree. Then we scooted it over to a wall and lifted it over and dumped out all of the dirt. A feat in itself. Luckily, we found a base with wheels to sit it on, I mean only two of the wheels worked, but it was enough to get it to the curb. The last hurtle was actually lifting it into the car. We got it in but I had to sit in the back to keep it from rolling around.

 Now it sits proudly on our patio. I'm not putting any plants in it just in case we move to Washington, you can't take plants across the border, I don't want to have to repeat the whole process again. 
Isn't it pretty?
You can kind of tell how big it is next to the chair, the sides are thick, I think that is what made it so heavy. But really, how could I pass this beauty up?

I grabbed a couple of other things-all at 50% off! A numbered piece of California Pottery.


A new set of salt and pepper shakers that match our kitchen table perfectly.


Chalkware bottles to decorate the wall going into the kitchen.


And I couldn't leave without a piece of Pyrex! These two bowls are part of the four bowl primary set. Whenever I find them individually, for cheap, I buy them to make a full set. A full set can range anywhere from $65-$100. If you can get the bowls separately for around $5, you can make your own set on the cheap.


This is the first estate sale we have been to in weeks. I have missed it! It's what we do for fun and I enjoy spending time with Brian. It's our Saturday morning "date".

Davis is still recovering from the cold she caught the first week of school so we are staying home for the holiday weekend. I hope everyone is staying safe and having fun!
-Tricia


No comments:

Post a Comment