Monday, September 16, 2013

On Sunday I Found Out I'm a Little Bit Spoiled...

when it comes to prices! We headed out early to the Long Beach Flea Market on Sunday. By early, I mean we left the house at 5:00am. The flea market has early bird hours from 5:30-6:30 and regular hours start at 6:30. Admission is $6.00 per adult but parking is free. This is a good sized market, smaller then the Rose Bowl but larger then Irvine Valley. 

I learned pretty quickly that the prices were higher then I am willing to pay now. After shopping at estate sales where the dealers shop, I just couldn't bring myself to pay flea market prices even though they are still a decent price below vintage stores. The trendiest thing at the flea were globes this time around. Every booth had one...or two or three. I stopped counting at 100. Also, if anything looks to be remotely Mid Century Modern you might as well tack on an extra $100-$200 dollars to the price. 

One of the fun things about the flea are looking at the things people bring to sell. Anyone need a life sized painted horse?


Or perhaps their own creepy butler?


I found a booth full of vintage Halloween items which I love but the prices were $30-$40 a piece!


We were able to pick up a couple of things for the living room and I got a few little pieces for my next collage wall. I saw these paintings lying on the ground and loved them and loved the price- only $10 each! Turns out they are from Van Gaard which was popular studio in the 1960's. 


They fit behind our huge $40 lamp Brian found on Craigslist last week. There was a lamp I spotted at the flea and I knew I wanted it because I had seen it in the pictures of an estate sale we went to last week. When we got there the lamp was already sold, now I know who bought it. The guy at the flea told me he bought it from an estate sale in Simi Valley, yep, it was my lamp. I think he felt sorry for me so he sold it for $40, which kills be because I know the estate sale price was probably $20.00, but I had gotten swooped so I forked over my cash. It looks just as perfect as I imagined it would!


One other exciting thing happened this week! My peacock finally came! I have wanted this guy since I saw one in Portland years ago for $400...I finally found one and it arrived safe and sound!


And yes, I may have still been in my pajamas when the mail came- we call them "work pants."


So this week we will be getting ready for our work trip to Mall of America for Scrapfest. I can't wait to spend my birthday working in Minnesota (insert sarcasm here).  So no estate sales this weekend for us. Just a regular old work week around here. I hope everyone has a fabulous Monday!
-Tricia

2 comments: