Monday, October 21, 2013

Do You Hate My House?

and do I care? There was an interesting post over at Retro Renovation about the comments people make when they walk into a house that is decorated in Mid-Century Modern. It was interesting to read how many people get negative comments regarding their design choices. So it got me thinking...what do people think when they walk into our house. When Davis had her birthday party, one of the girls looked at our paintings above the mantle and said my grandma has those in her house! That made me laugh- I knew we were on the right track then! 
The bottom line is nobody has to live here but us. When I look around my house it makes me happy. When I can save an old piece from the landfill and give it a good home, it warms my heart. And bottom line is that furniture made in the 50's and 60's is a much better quality then anything you can buy today. 
I dream of living in a 1960's ranch house with it's original pink bathroom and wood paneled rumpus room. Lucky for me everyone in my house shares the same sense of style. It wouldn't work if I loved shabby chic and Brian liked Craftsman. Davis loves vintage too so luckily we are all on the same page. Too each his own, I say! 
Well, enough of my ramblings. I have so many vintage treasures from the last two weeks of estate sales but everything is still packed away in the garage! I have been on an art buying binge lately. I am getting more art then I have walls for! Here are just a few things I picked up this weekend.

This is my absolute favorite painting I bought. It was hanging on a tree in the backyard! Go figure.


I also grabbed this awesome 1960's painting of the Bay Bridge. It just needs to be cleaned up a bit.


This one is string art with a boomerang background. I can't even imagine how much work went into this with all of those nails!


We found this great rock art piece too!


This one is fabric art and I just couldn't resist the colors!


And lastly, since I can't have a pink bathroom I decided to decorate it pink so I grabbed this seahorse shell picture. There are two matching ones.


Now all I need is more wall space! Lots to do this week with Brian leaving on Wednesday for a show in Charlotte. I hope everyone has a wonderful Monday!
-Tricia






No comments:

Post a Comment